11 March 2009

The Cabin Mix-Up

So to regress a little bit, there was a story when we returned to the ship that I never told. As I am on a role with blog entries, I will try to get it down now before I forget again :)

Marcel and I had a great time away from the ship in December and January, but by the time the end of January rolled around, I think we were ready to come back. This is our home now, a place that we both feel comfortable and our third 'family' is here.

Well, I was expecting at least an exciting hug when we came into reception, but it seemed as if everyone was out and the receptionist was new and did not know us as well -- of course. So, she got our paperwork out and began to check us in and get us our cabin keys. Now before we had left, we had figured out what cabin we would be in -- before we had even got engaged we had asked about a couple's cabin and been told that one would be waiting for us. So the receptionist hands me a key and says 'Cabin 4211. Should be set up for you.' Now it took me a few seconds to realize why that number sounded familiar - not because that was the couple's cabin we had seen before we left, but rather because it was the number of the woman's 4-berth cabin I had just left. I thought for a moment and then told her I thought she had the wrong number. She looked down at the list given her by Human Resource Department and says 'No, I don't think so, Marcel is listed there as well . . .' At this point Marcel and I both started laughing. Luckily I was able to run down to Deck 4 and find that the cabin we had been assigned before we left was 4319 (and the door was decorated for us) and the receptionist had no trouble giving us the keys to our real cabin. Otherwise it would have made for an interesting first night back -- not only was Marcel assigned to a woman's cabin, they had already moved someone into the bed that I had been using before, so there would have been five women and one man in a cabin made for four women . . . interesting is the only word for it. I am also glad that we were not new to the ship. I cannot image what it would have been like to never have been on the ship before and then to walk down to a cabin, not having any idea what to expect and being greeted by 4 women and no bed. Who do you talk to about that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these sort of stories. Brings back life from the good ol' days. glad you have a cabin to yourselves. Rebekah Carr